In 1919 all high schools in Clay County came under the control of the Clay County School Board. Public high schools were established at Celina (Clay County High School) with Professor J. J. Hendrickson as principal, Spivey (Hermitage Springs) Mattie Capshaw and Eva Capshaw were teachers the Principal is unknown, Moss High School with Professor O. L. Carnahan as principal, and Willow Grove High School with T. L. Sewell as principal.
In 1914, the year following the passing of the compulsory education law in Tennessee, there were 3035 students enrolled in grades 1-8 plus the high school students.
The Clay County Elementary System had 65 schools located throughout the County in 1920.
By 1977, the number of schools in Clay County had been reduced to four sites, Celina K-8, Celina High School, Hermitage Springs School (Grades K-12), and Maple Grove. The student population was 1556.
Celina High School was closed in 2003. Clay County High School (located on Highway 52 just outside Celina) opened in the fall of 2003. Hermitage Springs High School was consolidated into Clay County High School in 2007.
Clay County Schools' student population is now 1081